Archives - Veterans

(A.T.S. Remembered)

Audrey Frances Glover (nee Tiffen)

If you are trying to trace a Service Record you will need to contact the Ministry of Defence. Full details are given on the page The MOD hold the Second World War military service records for those who joined between 1939 and 1945.The following information has been extracted from the Veterans Agency website for quick access:

"Personal Requests

Requests from former Service personnel for her personal data held by the Ministry of Defence are processed in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998; such requests are called Subject Access Requests (SAR).

A SAR must be made in writing and must be accompanied by proof of identity (e.g. a copy of a passport or recent utilities bill), and sufficient information to locate the data sought. To assist the search, your letter should include as much information as possible.

Requests for data for ex-Army personnel must also include the Regiment or Corps. Once all the necessary information has been received, your request will be processed and you should receive a reply within 40 calendar days.

A SAR form can be downloaded from the website.

To access a record the following information (or as much as possible) is required:

A full copy of the record can be requested however, original documents, discharge papers/books cannot be replaced. The MOD will also provide extracts from service records.

Requests from Interested parties

Enquirers must provide a letter of consent from the subject of the record.

Deceased personnel

Enquirers must provide the consent of the Next of Kin and unless the person died in Service, proof of death. A charge may be made for enquiries.

The following personnel Service records have been transferred to the National Archive (formerly the Public Record Office) and are available for public access.

If you have any other queries about service records or are not sure about which office to write to please contact the Veterans Agency Helpline"

The MOD can be found at the website address

Ministry of Defence

The Veterans Agency is situated at:

Helpline Tel: 0800 169 2277

or can be contacted at

Veterans Agency

Back Home

BuzyBee Web Design